2014 Sik'lik Youth Poetry Slam
Impossible Possibilities hosted its 4th Annual Sik’lik Youth Poetry Slam at Texas Christian University’s (TCU) Moudy Auditorium on Nov. 22, 2014.
The Sik’lik program enhances writing, presentation skills and overall self-esteem by giving students an opportunity to perform original poetry in front of an audience of their peers. Fifty five middle and high school students participated in the event, which included a writing and performance workshop hosted by national-award winning poet Mike Guinn. Seventeen of those students then showcased their talents on stage, competing in a two-round poetry slam competition.
“This year’s event was our best in terms of the number of overall participants,” Executive Director Joshua Hernandez said. “The preparation that these students put into their performances and the emotion they convey through their poetry is incredible.”
Two former champions vied for the 2014 Sik’lik title, which was determined by a razor thin margin of .1 of a point. 2012 winner Durmerrick Ross edged 2013 winner Dillion Youngblood to reclaim his title with a perfect score of 60 points over two rounds. Newcomer Dylan Weaver rounded out the top three with a score of 58.2.
Additional entertainment was provided by Fort Worth-based singer/songwriter Morgan Shine, who performed for the students in attendance and also shared insight into the creative writing process.
Sik’lik Top 10:
- Durmerrick Ross (60.0 – Junior, Arlington Heights High School)
- Dillion Youngblood (59.9 – Sophomore, Chisholm Trail High School)
- Dylan Weaver (58.2 – Senior, Cleburne High School)
- Rosae Tyler (57.0 – Senior, Chisholm Trail High School)
- Enoch Crooks II (56.3 – Junior, Lighthouse Preparatory)
- Andrew McBride (56.2 – Sophomore, Western Hills High School)
- Janine Narcisse (56.0 – Freshman, Mansfield High School)
- Clara Tolleson (55.9 – Weatherford Ninth Grade Center)
- Conor Jennings (55.8 – Sixth Grade, Frankford Middle School)
- Tia Crooks (55.7 – Freshman, Lighthouse Preparatory)